Sun 30 September 2018
"Star Wars cake
I lit up Darth Vader’s lightsaber with a laser pointer – think it worked pretty well.
And I also had a stab at BB8.
Wed 11 April 2018
The second idea for child-friendly prayer/worship was from CBBC’s Art Ninja program(!), specifically The Day of the Bug episode (although I’m guessing the iPlayer link will expire in a week or so).
It needs a little bit of organisation and time – but the basic idea is that you create a large (A4 or A3) picture of your fingerprint, with the prayer bit being that we’re each special and uniquely made by God, so all the fingerprints are different. It is a two-stage process (especially with lots of children), so is probably best done either over two days/sessions, depending on your context.
You will need:
- An inkpad
- A piece of paper per person
- A photocopier, or scanner and computer and A4/A3 printer
- PVA Glue and glittter
- (optional) cardboard picture frame slightly bigger than A4 or A3
- You start by taking a fingerprint of each person, using an ink-pad and paper (remember to name/label each one!)
- Then blow this up, using a photocopier or scanner/printer, until it nearly fills an A4 (or A3) sheet. Again remember to label each one.
- Now, carefully paint PVA glue over the blown-up fingerprint lines.
- Then cover the whole page in glitter, so the PVA glue is covered.
- If using a picture frame, when the PVA is dried, frame it!
Once they’re framed, you can display them all, and use them as a celebration of how we’re made!
Just wanted to jot down a couple of really good ideas for child friendly worship/prayer activities I’ve come across in the past few days.
The first was courtesy of Nick and Becky Drake at Spring Harvest this year (which was in Harrogate – amazing! Also come back in 2019, and I can’t recommend it highly enough.)
You have 3 large boards/blackboards set up at the front, one that says “School/Work”, one says “Home”, and one says “Relationships”.
You then have 8 sets of sheets of large stickers, each set of sheets printed with a fruit of the Spirit:
- gentleness, and
The prayer activity is then to identify which fruit and area of life you would like to ask God to help you with – so it might be for joy at school, or love at home, or patience in relationships – you get the idea.
Each person then comes up to front, gets a sticker with their particular fruit on, and sticks it onto the relevant blackboard.
At the end you end up with the boards covered in stickers (you obviously need to choose boards that are an approppriate size for the number of people) – which we all hold up in prayer to God. It’s good for adults to join in with too.
Tue 24 October 2017
"Danger Mouse Cake
Most of my new posts are going on what is turning out to be my main blog.
So, here are some pictures of a Danger Mouse cake.
I seem to be in a bit of a macro phase at the moment – my 100mm macro lens is a permanent fixture on my camera!
I love how you can draw out both intricacy and abstraction by getting that close in, especially with flowers and plants (as you may have noticed).
Head on over to the 365 to see what I mean.
Fri 30 June 2017
In honour of my pending ordination (tomorrow!!) I have set up a new blog, which will (hopefully) be a bit deeper than my ramblings on here.
It’s at revjameshandley.wordpress.com
I intend to keep this site going with photos, reviews, random thoughts (not that there has been a lot of that recently – doing a theology degree will have that effect!), but my main blogging will now be on t’other site.
This isn’t a sacred/secular divide thing, it’s more like the difference between the editorial and the cartoons in the newspaper. I will leave you to decide which one you think is which!!
Sat 20 May 2017
One day I may post something that doesn’t involve food… Until that day..
With all due recognition of CressidaBell.com cakes for inspiration (but I’m afraid I don’t run to two hundred pounds for a birthday cake, even for my wife!)
Tue 10 January 2017
Very quick one to share my two latest creations – a Death Star cake, and a Pokeball cake (the latter thanks to How to cake it – although it was my idea to fill it with Haribo)
- Happy New Year to all. Wondering what joys and challenges 2016 has in store… (Fri Jan 01 11:18:15 +0000 2016)
- It might sound odd, but I actually prefer getting up, showered and dressed to lounging around in pyjamas. Not that there’s an option today! (Mon Jan 04 07:18:01 +0000 2016)
- It comes to something when a new toy arrives for the computer, and I’m not going to have time to even unpack it before the weekend! 🙁 (Tue Jan 05 21:53:23 +0000 2016)
- Still, 2,500 words on Eucharistic Prayer F now submitted, Christmas decorations packed away, and new school term launched successfully. (Tue Jan 05 22:00:04 +0000 2016)
- O God, who by the leading of a star manifested your Son to the peoples of the earth, grant that we may behold your glory face to face. (Tue Jan 05 22:13:45 +0000 2016)
- Struck down with tonsillitus. I’m not very good at being cooped up indoors! Still, on the mend… (Tue Jan 12 12:07:58 +0000 2016)
- Do take care driving tonight, fellow YMCers. Looks like it might be snowy. Sorry can’t join you, still convalescing. (Wed Jan 13 13:11:23 +0000 2016)
- Genuinely sad that Sir Terry has passed away. A great loss, and condolences to the family. (Sun Jan 31 16:04:21 +0000 2016)
- I’m not sure that my younger son has quite got the hang on Lent… He’s very excited that his brother is giving up puddings! (Sun Feb 07 10:19:03 +0000 2016)
- Bittersweet service this morning, as we say thank you but also farewell to our vicar of the last 15 years, as he and his wife retire. (Sun Feb 14 08:32:19 +0000 2016)
- But also very happy Valentine’s day, both to those who do and do not have eros if their life right now. (Sun Feb 14 08:36:38 +0000 2016)
- @alexbcann very best wishes for the future – I always enjoyed your show when I could listen, and of course our occasional banter on here!! (Tue Mar 01 21:18:44 +0000 2016)
- I’ve just seen that Condorman is on netflix. How awesome is that? (Fri Mar 11 14:55:12 +0000 2016)
- 18k walk with the scouts. Was good, but i don’t think I’ll be able to move tomorrow! #FortiesAndFeelingIt (Sun Mar 13 17:42:17 +0000 2016)
- I’ve signed the petition calling on the government to keep the BBC free from government control. Will you? https://t.co/qt4fUXfuY5 (Tue Mar 15 21:53:44 +0000 2016)
- RT @JamesPrescott77: Already seeing irrational, illogical, fear-filled reactions to Brussels tragedy.Don’t listen to fear. Fear will just m… (Tue Mar 22 13:20:42 +0000 2016)
- All packed for Easter School tomorrow. Suspect I’m going to regret putting in “Misson of God” on the walk up the hill to St Chads!! (Sat Mar 26 13:32:32 +0000 2016)
- He is risen. The tomb is empty. All is not lost after all! (Sun Mar 27 06:06:33 +0000 2016)
- (It would have been ok if No. 2 son had risen a little later though. I know it was technically 6.30….) (Sun Mar 27 06:07:46 +0000 2016)
- … mind you, I’m as happy and excited as he is. Oh what a morning! 🙂 (Sun Mar 27 06:09:17 +0000 2016)
- RT @JustinWelby: Christ is Risen! May you know the joy, hope, comfort, strength, forgiveness and love that Jesus brings to all. #EasterJoy (Sun Mar 27 06:47:46 +0000 2016)
- RT @Pontifex: Jesus Christ is risen! Love has triumphed over hatred, life has conquered death, light has dispelled the darkness! (Sun Mar 27 06:48:18 +0000 2016)
- Right, on my way to Durham for YMC Easter School 2016. I love travelling by train, and ’tis good liminal space/time. Especially with chocs. (Sun Mar 27 13:38:54 +0000 2016)
- I like the St Chad’s motto – “not what you have, but you, yourself” (“non vestra sed vos” if you’re into Latin) #YMCES16 (Mon Mar 28 10:18:39 +0000 2016)
- Found it helpful to unpack stewardship, especially that God doesnt need us in His relationship with creation. #YMCES16 (Mon Mar 28 10:29:36 +0000 2016)
- RT @ClaireCorley201: “When you’re used to privilege, equality can seem like oppression”. Richard Rohr YMCES16 (Mon Mar 28 12:44:37 +0000 2016)
- It turns out that the lights in Epiphany House turn on and off automatically, and stay on for about half a flight of stairs…. #YMCES16 (Mon Mar 28 12:51:59 +0000 2016)
- RT @ClaireCorley201: “You are being ordained to be a watcher. Watching for glimpses of where God is moving” YMCES16 (Mon Mar 28 16:54:16 +0000 2016)
- Common elements of mission: intentionality, risk taking, serving, invitation to serve, multiplication, new people groups. #YMCES16 (Mon Mar 28 16:57:32 +0000 2016)
- RT @Sam_Tyndall: We are being ordained to be watchers; to be looking for signs of God’s Kingdom work. To be catalysts of mission. @MarkPowl… (Mon Mar 28 16:57:57 +0000 2016)
- Probably not called so much to be “attitude adjusters” (reckon that’s the Holy Spirit’s job!) #YMCES16 (Mon Mar 28 17:32:34 +0000 2016)
- Naboth’s Vineyard illustrates how we get trapped into systems that are destructive and tragic. #YMCES16 (Tue Mar 29 10:05:20 +0000 2016)
- We need climate justice. At present we have no agency; e.g. in supermarkets we are powerless in the face of inequities in the supply chain. (Tue Mar 29 16:15:01 +0000 2016)
- Redemption comes through an equitable distribution of the means to grow food. #YMCES16 (Tue Mar 29 16:17:27 +0000 2016)
- “We read under the eye of God until the heart is touched and leaps into flame.” #YMCES16 (Wed Mar 30 08:23:00 +0000 2016)
- Gen 1:31 blows away 2k years of bad theology. Matter matters to God. #ymces16 #RuthValerio (Wed Mar 30 09:16:22 +0000 2016)
- Being made in the image of God is functional not ontological; it’s a job description. #ymces16 #RuthValerio (Wed Mar 30 09:52:08 +0000 2016)
- Through Jesus there is peace. His life, death, resurrection and ascending have brought about reconciliation. #ymces16 #RuthValerio (Wed Mar 30 09:55:32 +0000 2016)
- RT @ClaireCorley201: @ruthvalerio “many little steps in the right direction” #refreshing #YMCES16 (Wed Mar 30 11:19:27 +0000 2016)
- The primary motivation is what is the right way to live as a follower of Jesus. @ruthvalerio #ymces16 (Wed Mar 30 11:20:38 +0000 2016)
- 4 areas we can change: the food we eat, the way we travel, the energy we use, the things we throw away. @ruthvalerio #ymces16 (Wed Mar 30 11:53:57 +0000 2016)
- Every time @ruthvalerio knew my name, my reaction was “wow – that’s amazing.” It might be related to my wearing of a name badge… #ymces16 (Wed Mar 30 11:58:52 +0000 2016)
- There is already one area where I’m already gold standard eco – I reuse all my jokes (and recycle my sermons). #YMCES16 (Wed Mar 30 13:03:02 +0000 2016)
- Stunning “Liquid Eucharist” celebrating St Cuthbert in Durham Cathedral this evening. I managed 4/7 prayer stations. #ymces16 (Wed Mar 30 20:49:31 +0000 2016)
- Anglican worship should have a proper catholicity, drawing on the universal resource of the church. #ymces16 (Thu Mar 31 09:14:30 +0000 2016)
- Nature and clinate is, to some extent, The physical expression of our spiritual state. #ymces16 (Thu Mar 31 11:37:50 +0000 2016)
- I love that, even after 16 years of marriage, we can still easily spend 2 hours chatting on the phone. #ItMustBeLove (Thu Mar 31 21:23:01 +0000 2016)
- Looking forward to the carousel groups. To carouse: “drink alcohol and enjoy oneself with others in a noisy, lively way.” #YMCES16 (Fri Apr 01 06:12:14 +0000 2016)
- Challenges for church: attractional model, culture of raising leaders (lack of mentoring), being risk averse, fear. #ymces16 @selvaratnam (Fri Apr 01 11:37:08 +0000 2016)
- 5 lessons: extended adolescence; churches made BY not FOR; truth is complex; perhaps less strong on bible; theological honesty. #YMCES16 (Fri Apr 01 11:43:32 +0000 2016)
- Keep your puzzled faces – always work out where God is. #YMCES16 (Fri Apr 01 11:58:30 +0000 2016)
- #ILovePhotocopying @spencerunleashed (Fri Apr 01 20:48:07 +0000 2016)
- Fabulous review, well done all, esp @EveRidgeway #YMCES16 #CuddyDucks (Fri Apr 01 20:57:59 +0000 2016)
- RT @ClaireCorley201: “I don’t go to church but someone said you could help us.. ” #goodplacetostart #YMCES16 (Fri Apr 01 21:27:46 +0000 2016)
- RT @ClaireCorley201: Are we raising up younger leaders to be assistants or successors? Are we raising up leaders to go beyond ourselves?… (Fri Apr 01 21:28:52 +0000 2016)
- RT @JustinWelby: The more Christians pray, the more they become the people of good news for the world around them. #ThyKingdomCome (Fri Apr 01 21:30:33 +0000 2016)
- Well done @EveRidgeway and @hanscombe63 – amazing head students. Looks like we’re in safe hands next year too @ClaireCorley201, @bluefin040 (Sat Apr 02 20:55:45 +0000 2016)
- Great morning of creative and faith-filled ideas. Now almost time to say goodbye to #CuddyDucks and #ymces16 (Sun Apr 03 10:33:33 +0000 2016)
- I’m taken with the concept of “non-anxious presence”. I can see opportunities for me to grow in this area, particularly in my day job. (Sun Apr 03 15:54:37 +0000 2016)
- “I will praise God in the mighty thong” says the Psalm in Compline (but I may have misread it.) Maybe cassocks are a good thing after all. (Mon Apr 04 21:47:14 +0000 2016)
- Super speedy delivery of “Just Living” from @ruthvalerio. It’s going to be the source material for my assembly next month. #CoCreatureliness (Wed Apr 06 06:20:19 +0000 2016)
- Saddened to read that animal welfare guidance is to be weakened. The way we treat poultry is utterly shameful (and dangerous) as it is. (Wed Apr 06 11:50:28 +0000 2016)
- … although @msnorthcott had already convinced me to stop buying chicken at #ymces16. (Wed Apr 06 11:55:03 +0000 2016)
- I put the radio on. 5yo: “In Megan’s car they don’t listen to Stray FM, they listen to Church Songs.” @samanthajoy2 @MediaMartinYFC (Sat Apr 09 09:18:16 +0000 2016)
- Did I mention that there was a lightsabre “welcome back” card waiting for my after Easter School. #HappyDaddy https://t.co/odGyVycaLn (Tue Apr 12 20:10:55 +0000 2016)
- Exciting that the new YMC prospectus is out (with some of my photos in it!) https://t.co/cGHYZRa1od (Thu Apr 21 07:28:01 +0000 2016)
- Feels like everytime I open the news another icon has passed away! The world is a smaller place without you, thank you for what you brought. (Thu Apr 21 19:12:50 +0000 2016)
- Driving home on the M1. I say “we’ll stop at the next services.” 5yo says “which church will that be?” He wasn’t even being funny!! (Sun Apr 24 19:37:17 +0000 2016)
- Big bangs over Harrogate. Sonic boom? Explosion? (Mon May 02 20:53:33 +0000 2016)
- RT @NYorksPolice: Confirmation from RAF that loud bangs heard across the county were sonic booms from RAF Typhoon jets. No cause for concern (Mon May 02 21:17:20 +0000 2016)
- Used to regularly hear sonic booms in the 80s in Norfolk. Rattled the crockery then too! Haven’t heard ones for ages though. (Mon May 02 21:46:28 +0000 2016)
- Strikes me that if Donald Trump were elected, it would ironically prove his “enemy states” right – that Western Democracy doesn’t work. (Tue May 03 06:18:33 +0000 2016)
- Seen at least one graphic of the #SonicBoom which portrays it as having an epicenter and radii #NotHowItWorks #NotAnEarthquakeOrExplosion. (Tue May 03 06:58:17 +0000 2016)
- Up most of the night with a poorly child – not going to sparkle today! But it looks like spring has sprung. (Wed May 04 07:03:12 +0000 2016)
- “Northern Shooting Show” at the Yorkshire Showground – now I know folk round here can be brusque and direct, but is there no other way? (Thu May 05 17:07:11 +0000 2016)
- “He has shown a lamentable want of discretion for his years.” #BeatrixPotter (Sat May 14 08:04:43 +0000 2016)
- Successfully rescued Princess Beauty from the wicked Queen Tangleweed at Alnwick Garden. (Sat May 14 13:18:03 +0000 2016)
- “Yes” from me for the EU – 70 years of peace and stability, and I think the UK still has a part to play. (Fri Jun 03 07:19:00 +0000 2016)
- My 5yo thinks that we pray the Lord’s Prayer slowly… as our saviour tortoise!! #MorningPrayer (Tue Jun 14 07:03:41 +0000 2016)
- There are so many broken people in this world. (Thu Jun 16 14:28:36 +0000 2016)
- RT @OurCofE: Today’s awful news a reminder to be thankful for all MPs – they make themselves vulnerable in every way to serve us. (Thu Jun 16 14:31:55 +0000 2016)
- RT @alexbcann: There are no words to describe my sadness about the death of Jo Cox. Those who are fanning the flames of political hatred, t… (Thu Jun 16 16:35:30 +0000 2016)
- Hope all those who have been peddling fear and hatred are proud of themselves this morning. Sadly they possibly are. (Fri Jun 17 08:02:04 +0000 2016)
- Ever since YMC Easter School I’ve wondered about the link between weather and ethics – interesting to see wild storms on #EUref day… (Thu Jun 23 18:43:13 +0000 2016)
- Very saddened by this morning’s result. It seems to me fear and hatred have won. Guess it’s trump for president next. #EUref (Fri Jun 24 05:42:14 +0000 2016)
- RT @petespurs: Prayers for healing of a deeply divided Britain: https://t.co/Hzf261Wp2x (Fri Jun 24 05:42:44 +0000 2016)
- So the result of the referendum was (roughly speaking) : 1/3 want to leave, 1/3 want to remain, and 1/3 don’t care… (Fri Jun 24 06:47:20 +0000 2016)
- RT @Got_My_Towel: “The nature of democracy even when you lose is better than the alternative.” Well said, @BeardLikeAJedi (Fri Jun 24 08:09:01 +0000 2016)
- Genuine distress at school gate this morning, across demographic spectrum. To be fair, in some cases due to forgotten non-uniform day. (Fri Jun 24 08:11:33 +0000 2016)
- RT @JustinWelby: After #EUref let’s pray we may build a good UK, playing its part among the nations. My statement with @JohnSentamu: https:… (Fri Jun 24 08:22:27 +0000 2016)
- RT @nickbaines: So, the people have spoken. Not clear what they have said, but clear outcome. Now to shape the future & not simply wish it… (Fri Jun 24 08:22:46 +0000 2016)
- “The earth is the Lord’s and all that fills it, •
the compass of the world and all who dwell therein.” #EUref (Fri Jun 24 08:23:11 +0000 2016)
- RT @PhilCarman: Excited to announce that I have been appointed to be the vicar of St Andrews Starbeck in Harrogate. @starbeckchurch https:/… (Sun Jul 03 16:32:12 +0000 2016)
- I can report that the drop of sterling hasn’t affected the Tooth Fairy’s leavings. (Sun Jul 10 07:46:34 +0000 2016)
- Message of NT : You can trust Jesus – he is the son of God, God loves you, and when things are tough you can ask for help. @askewben (Sun Jul 10 10:11:51 +0000 2016)
- I don’t follow F1 that closely anymore, but isn’t the point of pits to fix/adjust the cars? Driver’s shouldn’t need radios, really…. (Wed Jul 13 06:22:02 +0000 2016)
- Tonight’s supper is a “Daddy Special.” The fact that my culinary explorations get their own title tells you all you need to know… (Fri Jul 15 15:36:43 +0000 2016)
- On this particular occasion its macaroni cheese, with chick peas and smoked haddock. Tasted ok pre-baking, so signs are promising… (Fri Jul 15 15:39:20 +0000 2016)
- Chickpeas on the menu again tomorrow: lamb, chickpea, and apricot casserole. I’m hopeful that this too will be more coherent then it sounds. (Fri Jul 15 15:45:06 +0000 2016)
- And i also caught a Ratata today. #PokemonGOuk https://t.co/3H28hX9nRU (Fri Jul 15 15:46:54 +0000 2016)
- Woodlands Methodist is a gym, i notice @HannahnagroM @MediaMartinYFC @PhilCarman @starbeckchurch @BBCNews . (Fri Jul 15 17:20:38 +0000 2016)
- Quick check on twitter to see what today’s major geo-political event is… #IsItAllADream? (Sat Jul 16 20:32:49 +0000 2016)
- Turns out @starbeckchurch already a pokestop. Much pokemon after service yesterday. @HannahnagroM @MediaMartinYFC @PhilCarman @samanthajoy2 (Mon Jul 18 06:29:04 +0000 2016)
- My personal challenge for this week is to do better at that remembering that the people I work with are more important than the work itself. (Mon Jul 18 06:31:58 +0000 2016)
- Semi-resurrected my 365, now that term’s over. Dusted off my 100mm macro lens, and having some fun with it! https://t.co/EpiIrFk5J7 (Mon Jul 18 20:50:38 +0000 2016)
- Woke up this morning to find my younger son lying on me. Don’t know how long he’d been there – I normally hear him coming in! #MustBeTired (Sat Jul 23 05:30:06 +0000 2016)
- Feeling very uncomfortable after reading Ann Morisy’s chapter on suburbia and comfortable/insulated “play pen” lifestyles. (Sun Jul 24 14:09:33 +0000 2016)
- Also squirming with analysis that we’re addicted to the trvial, because we darent expose ourselves to true risk in case it shows us up. (Sun Jul 24 14:16:03 +0000 2016)
- … and yes twitter and facebook, i am in part thinking of you…. (Sun Jul 24 14:17:00 +0000 2016)
- Today’s happy thought is that tonight is the last time I’ll have to iron school shirts for 6 weeks. (Sun Jul 24 19:28:27 +0000 2016)
- Such a joy to wake up by the sea. Many thanks to Kate Winslet and Enid Blyton for making the journey seem as quick as the slippery slip! (Mon Aug 01 06:05:27 +0000 2016)
- Tincy bit annoyed that i hadn’t twigged the new Harry Potter was going to be delivered while I was away. Still, nice that it’ll be waiting. (Tue Aug 02 06:13:01 +0000 2016)
- I’m beginning to think that Ann Morisy’s “Journeying Out” should be compulsory reading for Christians. #LifeChanger #Mission (Wed Aug 03 07:32:51 +0000 2016)
- … alongside “Contemplative Youth Ministry” by Mark Yaconelli (whether or not you do youth ministry). Anxiety is so pervasive and toxic. (Wed Aug 03 07:35:19 +0000 2016)
- Absolutely gripped by “Cursed Child” – I think it’s also the first time I’ve been transported to the narrative world reading a play script. (Sun Aug 14 08:15:09 +0000 2016)
- Aha – it’s “beautiful people get results” day in the media. But remember your grades do not reflect or define your worth or identity! (Thu Aug 18 16:22:09 +0000 2016)
- Ordered some posh boots to wear for church stuff once I’m revved up. In honour of pokėmon they are referred to as my “vicar shoes” 🙂 (Sat Aug 20 21:10:06 +0000 2016)
- (You need to say it quickly out loud) (Sat Aug 20 21:11:22 +0000 2016)
- Today is one of those days which challenges my commitment to cycling to work. #Soggy #Monday (Mon Aug 22 06:40:37 +0000 2016)
- 5yo desperate to do the Bake Off tomorrow: “You need to make a mirror glaze, jaffa cakes, and ginger biscuits. I’ll be the judge.” (Thu Sep 01 18:44:40 +0000 2016)
- My respect for Bake Off stars has gone up a notch after my attempt at Viennese Fingers https://t.co/D49sKFlGXF (Fri Sep 02 11:18:47 +0000 2016)
- ST:TNG on Netflix + ironing = my Sunday evenings. (Sun Sep 04 19:36:04 +0000 2016)
- Getting excited about the start of a new year on the Yorkshire Ministry Course. Fab Summer break, now raring to go again! (Thu Sep 08 21:11:43 +0000 2016)
- There’s a great book called “The Prodigal God” by Tim Keller, which talks about God squandering his love on us @leach_mick @starbeckchurch (Mon Sep 12 05:40:36 +0000 2016)
- Fantastic service at @starbeckchurch. Good to hear @PhilCarman and family’s story, and about faith in a great big God! (Sun Oct 02 13:53:23 +0000 2016)
- Becoming increasingly convinced of the importance of story and food at Church. But then I guess that’s kind of what Eucharist is… (Sun Oct 02 16:26:48 +0000 2016)
- Just to be clear, by “story” I dont mean fiction. Narrative, testimony, anamnesis, parable… telling, learning, and growth through story. (Sun Oct 02 17:21:25 +0000 2016)
- ***STOP PRESS*** It turns out irons are far more effective when the plug is switched on at the wall. (Sun Oct 02 18:57:09 +0000 2016)
- There’s nothing quite like putting on a pair of toasty socks straight from the radiator! #WarmToes (Tue Oct 04 06:24:17 +0000 2016)
- Me: Not that Christmas is about treats
6yo: No, it’s about Fr Christmas
Me: Actually Jesus
12yo: Anyway Fr Christmas doesn’t exist
#awkward (Fri Oct 07 06:58:47 +0000 2016)
- It’s never really occurred to be before that Advent changes length – this year it’s going to be the longest that it can be! (Tue Oct 11 06:51:34 +0000 2016)
- I love it when my assignments (essays) exactly hit the word count, but I worry the tutors won’t believe me. 🙂 (Sat Oct 15 20:54:11 +0000 2016)
- 6yo’s tooth fell out this morning. Wondering whether to negotiate payments in dollars from the tooth fairy? (Mon Oct 17 11:46:03 +0000 2016)
- Thank you @Morrisons for gingerbread pumpkins. 6yo loves them! https://t.co/q2x7oxF7LA (Fri Oct 28 17:01:24 +0000 2016)
- The fruit is soaking – Christmas cake bake lined up for the morrow. (Sat Oct 29 18:05:25 +0000 2016)
- Saying Morning Prayer at home. 6yo: “When’s the tortoise?” 🙂 (Tue Nov 08 08:20:17 +0000 2016)
- I genuinely fail to comprehend the arguments against speed cameras. No one is making you break the law!! (Tue Nov 08 12:36:21 +0000 2016)
- SNOW!!! (Wed Nov 09 06:45:49 +0000 2016)
- I can’t say I’m happy about the US result, but we are people of love and hope and prayer, and Yahweh is bigger than all of this. (Wed Nov 09 07:55:27 +0000 2016)
- On the other hand, outside looks lovely, and the gently falling snow is very pretty. 3/10 HG2 #uksnow (Wed Nov 09 07:58:47 +0000 2016)
- Seems appropriate to be remembering Leo when the lectionary has Daniel in the lions’ den!! (Thu Nov 10 08:33:43 +0000 2016)
- Jesus’ miracles & parables serve the same purpose: to break in, shock and surprise. To disorientate in order to reorientate. (Ricoeur) (Sat Nov 12 22:22:06 +0000 2016)
- Just realised how similar “pope-ery” and “pot pourri” sound… Makes one wonder about incense’s role in the reformation… (Sat Nov 19 12:59:23 +0000 2016)
- Just come across Mojito Lite’s cover of “Sweet Child o’ Mine”. I like it at lot more than I should by rights. (Fri Nov 25 09:28:25 +0000 2016)
- Great job by all at this eve. Well done and thank you #carolsbyglowlight (Sun Dec 04 20:44:22 +0000 2016)
- I think my favourite Greek philosopher was Isosceles (even though he was a bit of a square). (Thu Dec 08 06:58:13 +0000 2016)
- Teenage babysitter arrives with her jeans slashed up.
6yo: “why have you got holes in your jeans?”
B/s: “Its how I bought them.”
🙂 (Sat Dec 10 07:04:40 +0000 2016)
- … work colleague had friends staying with grandparents. Put jeans in wash. Came back darned: “I’ve sewn up those holes for you dear” (Sat Dec 10 07:08:53 +0000 2016)
- Great work do last night. Colleague’s gf was critiquing the cracker joke typesetting… Completely get why he’s in love with her. #ImAGeek (Sat Dec 10 07:51:44 +0000 2016)
- Seems to me that Christmas lights are, in some sense, us joining in the cosmic/astromonical battle between light and dark. #DispelTheShadows (Sun Dec 11 08:44:53 +0000 2016)
- … certainly waking up to lots of dark news this morning. War, violence, and ‘natural’ diaster. #VeniVeniEmmanuel (Sun Dec 11 08:49:22 +0000 2016)
- The proof that Jesus is the Messiah is that people’s lives are changed. Real faith = a changed life. @starbeckchurch (Sun Dec 11 11:31:19 +0000 2016)
- Sat, 5.30am: “Daaa-deeee… is it morning?”
Sun. 6.30am: “Daddy daddy. Is it morning?”
Mon: Needs to be woken up at 7.30 for school!!! (Mon Dec 12 07:34:02 +0000 2016)
- I am delighted to announce that from next July I am going to be a curate at St Mark’s, Harrogate @stmarkshgate (one day a week). (Tue Dec 13 08:23:23 +0000 2016)
- A baby is born. A king in a stable?! This is our God. #JoyToTheWorld (Sun Dec 25 06:47:10 +0000 2016)
- Two & a half years of studying theology has increased my appreciation (& in some cases comprehension) of Christmas Carols, if nothing else! (Sun Dec 25 22:21:22 +0000 2016)
- When waking up at 7.30 is a lie in. #parenthood. (Mon Dec 26 07:42:13 +0000 2016)
- I think my boy might be building a time machine… he just asked for 4D batteries (Wed Dec 28 13:57:43 +0000 2016)
Fri 9 December 2016
"Ordination and Curacy
Well – it’s all real now.
I am going to be ordained Deacon at Bradford Cathedral on Saturday 1st July 2017, to take up my curacy at St Mark’s Harrogate one day a week (plus Sundays).
While the journey is by no means ending on the 1st July, it is a significant milestone, and many would hold that I will be something different after the Bishop has laid hands on me (the posh phrase is an “ontological change”) – and again when I am priested in 2018, God willing.
I personally find it unhelpful to set clergy too far apart from non-ordained people, after all I will remain a member of laity, like all other baptised believers. On the other hand, there is a sense of being set apart, and that something does change on ordination – if it didn’t then why would we bother? I have never (yet?) come up with a satisfactory answer of “why” I should be ordained, but I’ve come to think that it’s not actually the important question. The important question is whether or not God is calling me (or you) to this slightly odd role/ministry/state of being, and I have to say that I feel, along with those who know me best and the wider church, the answer is “yes” for me.
Of course, the truth is we are all changing all the time. I am firmly of the opinion that Jesus calls ALL of us to a life of discipleship – which means always learning, growing, striving to more like Him. This isn’t to say that anything we do can make us any more loved (or less loved) by God, but if we are loved by God, and love Him in return, then we live our lives on a different page from the world around us, and that doesn’t always (often!) come naturally or easily.
I have found the last 3 years (ish) of theological education very hard work, but there is no doubt in my mind that I now look at the world in a different way. I think differently about the Bible and God, about Mission, about Jesus and His ministry. My understanding of Church has developed and deepened, and my outlook on life is perhaps more nuanced then it used to be. Fundamentally my faith hasn’t changed, but I have been stretched and deepened, often in uncomfortable ways!! I’m looking forward to sharing some of this with my new congregation, and learning from them in turn. I’m excited about what lies ahead for us as a family. And my hope and prayer is that God will continue to guide us all in his mysterious, but good, ways.
Next Page »