This game is completely random. You need at least 8 players, really.
- Count the number of players, and work out how many groups are need so that there are 3-5 players in each group.
- Choose a fruit for each group: e.g. with 10 players, you might have 3 groups; “bananas”, “apples”, and “grapes” (or whatever).
- All the players sit on chairs in a circle
- Allocate each player to a fruit group in turn. i.e. “banana”, “apple”, “grape”, “banana”, “apple”, and so on, going round the group.
- Get each group to stand up in turn, to make sure they know which fruit they are.
- Choose a “caller”
So now the game begins.
- The caller calls out a fruit. Say “Banana”.
- Every banana has to stand up, and swap places with another banana as quickly as possible.
- The caller then calls out another fruit (or perhaps the same one again).
- Alternatively the caller can shout “fruit salad” – everyone stands up, runs and madly screaming, and sits down again.
As far as I can tell there is no point to this game, but it’s always a big hit with the youth!